Saturday, October 31, 2009

I just paid off my car. The Title came back with my former last name.?

It also came back with an old address that I did not even live at when I bought the car. The purchase papers have my present town and not the address on the title. I have been paying my car loan with my present(maiden)name for 3 years. So the finance company is aware of my name as well as the DMV. Why would the title have my former last name and an address I was not living at at the time? They refunded some money with the correct last name and address. Do I have to do anything to have the title corrected or is it OK the way it is? I do not plan on selling it. I will just transfer it to my son in a year or so. Do I need to do anything now?



I just paid off my car. The Title came back with my former last name.?

When your name changed, you were required to contact the DMV with proof of the name change, and your title would be reissued with the correct info. Your registration is merely a copy of what the title says, so it has your maiden name as well. If you had the name change on your driver license, that is fine, but it doesn%26#039;t automatically change your name on your title. The information on the title was provided by your lender, or the car dealership. The registration would be the same. If the info was incorrect, you should have notified the agency. You don%26#039;t have to do anything at this point, however, when you transfer the title to your son, you will need to show the document that shows your name change, or sign the release of interest in your maiden name. Legally, you should be taking the title to the DMV, and having your name changed on the title. You would need to show the document, that shows the name change, whether it is a court order, a marriage certificate, a divorce document.



I just paid off my car. The Title came back with my former last name.?

I would go to the DMV and get them to change the title to the correct name and address. Just as sure as you don%26#039;t, SOMETHING will come up and create a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment