Wednesday, May 26, 2010

How do I discreetly ask for a title change at work?

I have a deadend tech-job at a small investment company. I want to leave, but I don%26#039;t want to give that away while I do my job-search. The prob is that if companies contact my current employer, my title in the company directory will be %26quot;technical support%26quot;, which will hurt my chances of getting a better job. 8yrs ago when I started pt here, that%26#039;s what I was doing, but I%26#039;ve expanded my job duties/skills since going ft. I%26#039;d like to ask for a newer title, but since it%26#039;s a small comp, titles pretty much mean nothing... so my boss may think something%26#039;s up if I ask wrong.



A friend suggested that I say to my boss %26quot;I%26#039;m applying for a loan and need a better title to qualify for a higher amount%26quot;. I don%26#039;t know whether or not that is ever true, and I%26#039;d rather lie by omission than lie directly, but I guess I%26#039;ll do this if I have to. Seems like %26quot;burning the bridge%26quot; though - I%26#039;d like to stay friends.



Anyone have any ideas on how to get a better title while still keeping it on the DL? Thanks



How do I discreetly ask for a title change at work?

I suggest you think about your request from the bosses perspective and then you will be better off devising a way to bring up your request. I don%26#039;t think you want to use your friends idea. I think you ought to step back, list as bullet items all the things you now do as compared to when you first started. Take the list to your boss and tell him you feel the company had, over the years, given you the chance to grow in you job. Show him the list and then ask for a title change that would better reflect your present responsibilities. Usually a boss in a service oriented company wants to impress the public with employees that have important sounding titles. You may actually find you like the job better since it sounds like you play an important part of the operation. Please look at these short articles for ideas. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment